The gallery gugging is one of the most important international venues for the presentation and creation of unspoiled, original art with its own formal language. The French artist Jean Dubuffet defined this style as art brut. For 25 years now, the gallery has been exhibiting works by the Gugging Artists and their international colleagues with the aim of making their work more visible within the framework of contemporary art and promoting previously unknown artists. We work on it with great enthusiasm and it gives us pleasure to accompany art lovers and collectors as partners in their passion.
The gallery gugging is a role model of how collaboration can work. Our cooperation partners are not only museums and galleries, but above all the artists themselves, who you can get to know during the creative process in the premises of the gallery or in the open studio gugging. Our competent, always service-oriented, and inspired team will be happy to welcome you and looks forward to advise you.
The gallery gugging sees itself as part of the Art Brut Center Gugging, embedded in the House of Artists, the open studio gugging and the museum gugging. The proximity of the place of origin of the works by the Gugging Artists and their presentation is unique in the world. In the wonderful environment in the middle of the Vienna Woods, artistic works are produced and new works are created every day.
The gallery gugging – a hotspot of the art brut scene – has always been a place of encounter and artists such as Arnulf Rainer, Peter Pongratz, Gerhard Roth, and David Bowie as well as London fashion designer Christopher Kane have been inspired by the Gugging Artists. Since 2018, artworks from Gugging have also been an integral part of the collection of the Museum of Modern Art New Yok (MoMA).
– Discovering and promoting previously unknown artists.
– We cooperate worldwide with renowned artists, galleries, museums, and collections.
– Four exhibitions a year with accompanying catalogues are presented.
– Participation at international art fairs such as the Drawing Now Paris, the Outsider Art Fair New York, …
– Since 2017 organiser of the gallery gugging special edition, a format that offers a stage to artists with reference to the Gugging Artists / to art brut and the joy of experimenting. Works composed especially for the occasion, such as “Paradise Lost” by Christopher Chaplin, “Sensitive Figure” by Lukas Lauermann, or the unique reading “Brandauer reads Bowie” by Klaus Maria Brandauer, are repeatedly premiered.