The galerie gugging is one of the most important international venues for the presentation and creation of unspoiled, original art with its own formal language. The French artist Jean Dubuffet defined this style as art brut. For 29 years now, the gallery has been exhibiting works by the Gugging Artists and their international colleagues with the aim of making their work more visible within the framework of contemporary art and promoting previously unknown artists. What many people don’t know is that the Gugging Artists are the actual bosses as owners of the gallery in this unique constellation. The galerie gugging team works with joy, appreciation & know-how to strengthen its national and international appeal and to accompany art lovers & collectors as partners in their passion.
The galerie gugging is a role model of how collaboration can work. Our cooperation partners are not only museums and galleries, but above all the artists themselves, who can also be found time and again in the gallery premises around the atelier gugging. Our team welcomes you with pleasure and is looking forward to being at your side with consultation.
The galerie gugging is part of the Art Brut Center Gugging, embedded in the atelier gugging, the House of Artists, the museum gugging and The Private Foundation – Artists from Gugging. The proximity of the place of origin of the works by the Gugging Artists and their presentation is unique in the world. In the wonderful environment in the middle of the Vienna Woods artistic work is carried out on a daily basis.
The galerie gugging – a hotspot of the art brut scene – has always been a place of encounter and artists such as David Bowie, Loys Egg, Constantin Luser, Peter Pongratz, Arnulf Rainer, Gerhard Roth, Daniel Spoerri as well as London fashion designer Christopher Kane have been inspired by the Gugging Artists. Since 2018, artworks by Leopold Strobl have been an integral part of the collection of the Museum of Modern Art New York (MoMA); in addition, the Gugging Artists can also be seen time and again in Austrian museums such as the Albertina, the Belvedere, the State Gallery of Lower Austria and the mumok.
– Representing the Gugging Artists as well as discovering and promoting yet unknown artists.
– We cooperate worldwide with renowned artists, galleries, museums and collections.
– 3 exhibitions per year in Maria Gugging with accompanying catalogue.
– 4 exhibitions at the galerie gugging vienna in Vienna.
– Participation at international fairs such as the Drawing Now Art Fair Paris, Outsider Art Fair New York, …
– Since 2017, organiser of the galerie gugging special edition – a format that offers a stage to artists with reference to the Gugging Artists / to art brut and the joy of experimentation. Works composed especially for the occasion are repeatedly premiered such as “Paradise Lost” by Christopher Chaplin, “Sensitive Figure” by Lukas Lauermann or the unique reading “Brandauer reads Bowie” by Klaus Maria Brandauer.