Oswald Tschirtner was born in 1920 in Perchtoldsdorf, Lower Austria, and lived in the House of Artists in Gugging from 1981 until his death in 2007. Encouraged by the psychiatrist Leo Navratil, Tschirtner started drawing in the 1960s. He became known for “his head-footer”: reduced figure without characteristic attributes such as clothing or gender. Its head flows with the body, the legs are no longer separated, but unite – quite elegantly – into a stumpy trunk with fingerless arms. The artist worked on postcard-sized paper, on canvases, or house facades, and used – depending on the dimensions – pen and Indian ink, Sharpie marker, or acrylic paint. He is regarded as a master of minimalist visual language. In 1990, he and the Gugging Artists were awarded the Oskar Kokoschka Prize. His works can be found in the Setagaya Museum, Japan, the Collection de l’Art Brut, Switzerland, and in the Museum of Modern Art Ludwig Foundation, Austria, among others.